Join us as we crunch the stats and give you a quick round-up from 2022 and see what 2023 may have in store for us! (5 minute read).
Stat attack! The bigger National RSPCA picture for 2022:
- 25% increase in abandonments.
- 13% increase in neglect cases.
- 8.4% increase in animals coming into RSPCA care.
- 8% decrease in rehoming.
- Due to lack of spaces over 500 rescued animals being kept in temporary housing at a cost of £26,000 per week!
Our 2022 stats:
- We admitted 471 animals (232 cats, 141 rabbits, 96 small furries, 2 dogs)
- We rehomed 398 animals (214 cats, 97 rabbits, 85 small furries, 2 dogs)
- 91% of the animals admitted were rehomed
- 86% were rescued by RSPCA Inspectors
- 7% were born to the animals rescued by RSPCA inspectors
- 5% were admitted directly to the branch (usually by referral from a statutory agency)
- 2% transferred in from other centres or returned by their adopter
Rehabilitating and rehoming
These admission and rehoming figures are a huge triumph for the branch because despite having to reduce capacity to save costs mid-year, we have helped so very many animals in need. Having once boasted numbers of upwards of 140 animals in our care in peak Summer season, we gradually reduced to below 100. This was all because our money was not stretching as far as it used to and we needed to operate within our means.
Animals coming into our care are in greater states of neglect, their rehabilitation costs greater than ever before and their stay with us longer than ever before. Many animals are suffering from a lack of preventative care and poor husbandry, leaving them with lifelong ailments and complaints and in turn making them harder to rehome.
Animal Welfare Clinics
We continued to deliver our six-weekly welfare clinics at Salford Pets at Home offering owned rabbits and guinea pigs free grooming and welfare checks. The clinics were as popular as ever and in total 164 animals benefited from the free service in 2022.
Towards the end of the year we saw demand steadily increase for the service, so for 2023 we have doubled the staffing for each clinic. We are fortunate to have a fabulous team of volunteers who give up their time to provide this service to pet owners. They comprise of a veterinary nurse, vet, student vet and experienced staff and volunteers. We thank them all for going above and beyond to help support owners and their companion animals.
We would like to thank the following organisations for generously supporting our work in 2022:
- ADCH and Mars Adoption Mission for £1500 to buy pet food and for the supply of canned cat food.
- Pets at Home Foundation for £40,350 grant to purchase an electric vehicle.
- Pets at Home Salford Store for choosing us as their Charity of the Year, supporting us with in-store events and promotions and for raising £1250 in the Santa Paws Campaign.
- RSPCA Crewe & Nantwich branch for £5,000 toward the renovation of the Small Animal Room at the centre, for which we were nominated for an RSPCA Impact Award.
We continue to make a sustained effort to ‘reduce, recycle and reuse’ and launched our first Sustainability Policy! We start 2023 by fulfilling a long-held ambition to scrap all our diesel vans and operate with just one, all-purpose electric vehicle. Thanks to the generosity of the Pets at Home Foundation we are now able to reduce our environmental impact even further!
In 2022 we said goodbye to three long-serving, key members of the team. After 9 years of service Rehoming Supervisor Michelle Flower left to concentrate on her business, although she remains involved in fostering cats and helping out at the centre where she can. Retail Co-ordinator Lauren Norton left after 10 years of service to pursue a new career. And finally, we said goodbye to trustee Kirsen Ferguson after 5 years of service, as she relocated to pastures new. We hugely appreciate each and everyone one of these amazing women, we wish you the best of luck in your future lives!
How can you help? Your support matters now more than ever before.
- Set up a monthly direct debit or make a one-off donation here
- Donate your quality unwanted items to our charity shops, locations and opening times here
- Buy a gift for one of our animals via our Wishlist here
- Set up Easyfundraising and select us as your charity to receive a % donation per purchase!
- Spread the word! Share our animals for adoption www.rspca-manchesterandsalford.org.uk